SWEET POTATO BROWNIES
This healthy version of the beloved brownie cake is my favorite so far. After experimenting, tasting endless brownies (not the worst job), testing everything from avocado brownies to coconut brownies this recipe won the gold medal. Fudgy, chewy brownies bursting with cacao flavor. You would never guess it contains sweet potatoes. I brought this cake to my yoga teacher training class, to celebrate the end of our first week, so this cake is both yoginis/yogis approved and parents approved. They all loved it and wanted the recipe so I thought I would share the recipe with all of you. Hope you like it.
VEGAN SWEET POTATO BROWNIES
Serves: 1 cake (20 small pieces)
gluten free, vegan, refined sugar free, nut free, oil free
730 g sweet potato purée (2 large sweet potatoes)
2 tbsp flax meal (ground flaxseed) + 4 tbsp water
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
50 ml maple syrup
100 g buckwheat flour
250 ml raw cacao
200 ml coconut sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1. Preheat the oven to 170 degrees C.
2. Peel and chop the sweet potatoes into smaller pieces. Steam until completely soft, cool slightly and purée in a food processor or blender. Stir together flax meal and water and set aside.
3. Mix all the dry ingredients in a large bowl.
4. Mix the sweet potato purée, flax meal, maple syrup and vanilla extract in a smaller bowl and pour it into the flour mixture. Using a spatula mix until just combined.
5. Line a cake tin (34 x 23 cm square) with parchment paper, leaving some excess hanging over the edges. Pour in the batter and spread evenly.
6. Bake for 20 minutes. Cool 10 minutes in the tin before using the parchment paper to carefully lift the cake from the tin onto a wire rack. Cool completely before cutting into smaller pieces.
7. Enjoy with fresh berries and ice cream. Tastes best shared!